Sunday, September 18, 2005

Using Blogger Templates on a Remote Host

Whew! It took longer than I had planned, and at times I felt a little guilty of sitting so long at the computer, but www.neworleansresource.com is finally live. No, I'm not going to tell you how long I stayed up tweaking it, and the fact that even this morning I needed a few more touches, but I will say it took overall around nine hours to create.

The next site will probably take half that time. That's because I had to learn the Blogger.com template I am using, and trying to tweak the best layout out of it (in my opinion). And, I tried to include a Perl based search engine.

The install went fine, but not sure what I was thinking. Remember we are dealing with dynamically created pages, so the only thing the search script will see is the code to generate the pages on the fly. That burnt up about an hour. Looked nice, but wrong results.

Also, I had problems incorporating the AdSense block in the footer. For some odd reason, it won't show up. Maybe someone has a suggestion.

Now that the site is almost done, (I want to submit a Google Site Map), it is time for the next step, promoting and getting the site linked. There are a ton of ideas and sites that help you do this, or at least think they can help. I will do my best to present what I feel are the most beneficial ones, and give you the results right here.

In the meantime, try constructing your own site using Blogger.com and a website from www.worldwidemart.com. You will see how you can easily create many pages as simple as blogging. I won't suggest you get the RSS Equalizer program yet, because even though it is working as advertised, I want to make sure it will work with the AdSense ad blocks.

Thanks again for your comments.

No comments: